Emerge 2040, an LLC created in 2015 and designated to promote, support and evaluate the implementation of the Erie regional master plan, is seeking an Executive Director. Emerge 2040 strategically convenes stakeholders, supports collaborations, catalyzes new initiatives, builds public will and participation, advocates for policies, and mobilizes financial and non-financial resources to advance and promote the community’s progress on implementation of the regional master plan. This position requires collaboration with a variety of public and private stakeholders to achieve goals in these focus areas: Economic Growth and Job Development; Education and Training; Vibrant and Safe Communities; Land Use, Transportation & Infrastructure; Environment; Arts, Culture and Recreation; Community Health; and Regional Collaboration & Leadership. Under the direction of a Board of Managers and with the support of an advisory Steering Committee composed of elected officials, business and non-profit partners, the Executive Director leads a team of contractors, AmeriCorps Vista, and student interns to achieve success.
Lead efforts to create and promote a more thriving, educated, green, livable and connected Erie Region. Manage the activities and resources of Emerge 2040 to effectively build participation in this wide-reaching effort to inspire and celebrate community progress.
- Work with the Steering Committee to develop and periodically reassess near-term implementation objectives based on recommendations from the master plan;
- Facilitate regular Steering Committee meetings and public meetings, and represent Emerge 2040 in media and throughout the Erie region;
- Identify and support key non-profit, government and business partners to implement recommendations;
- Provide facilitation services, identify and help secure funding opportunities, provide guidance on policy solutions, seek capacity building resources and identify potential collaborations for priority projects aligned with Emerge 2040 priorities;
- Work with Steering Committee to catalyze efforts to develop new strategic initiatives where progress is lacking;
- Communicate progress toward implementation at regular intervals, including through media communications, presentations, social media, newsletters, public meetings, etc.;
- Design and implement a comprehensive marketing campaign to improve internal and external community perception of the Erie region as an increasingly thriving, educated, green, livable and connected place;
- Manage administrative budget, volunteers and contracts of Emerge 2040, LLC;
- Work with Board of Managers and Steering Committee to secure ongoing operational support from public and private sector community partners;
- Present an annual budget to the Board of Managers for approval and meet for periodic financial reviews at minimum of one meeting annually;
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Planning, or a related field, is required. Master’s degree preferred. Experience in planning and/or community development and at least two years of supervisory experience. Must exercise strong financial and analytical skills, including preparation and adherence to budgets, and familiarity with Erie County and with local, state and federal funding opportunities. Comprehensive knowledge of or ability to become knowledgeable of State and local laws related to land use planning, regional issues, code compliance practices, housing assistance, social services, and economic development practices and programs.
Traits of an Ideal Candidate:
- A strong leader who is energetic, positive and customer-focused and can build and maintain relationships with a variety of stakeholders;
- Ability to evaluate Emerge 2040’s organizational structure looking for efficiencies and improvements in the delivery of services;
- Someone who thrives in dynamic and demanding environments where diverse perspectives are valued;
- Well-versed in planning and/or community development and has knowledge and a passion for facilitation, resource development, and advocacy;
- Has a strong political acumen, but is not political;
- Has superior communication skills and is someone who establishes trust and respect quickly with a variety of audiences;
- Is a team player with experience in implementing change that involves several stakeholders;
- Has a strong service outlook with a dynamic and results-driven approach to problem solving;
- Is someone who leads by example to achieve greater levels of customer service;
- A positive and enthusiastic mentor who fosters a spirit of teamwork;
- Exercises good judgment in working with the public, community groups, and elected officials in a constructive, straightforward manner; must be politically sensitive and will be calm and composed under pressure;
- Has experience in managing a budget based on a set expenditure limit, which includes a variety of revenue sources including grants and fees for service;
- Is technologically progressive and experienced with managing wide-spread, multi-media marketing campaigns.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume by email to the attention of Ben Pratt, Vice President of the Growth Partnership at email@example.com by Friday February 17th, 2017.